We aim for 100% organic ingredients but sometimes it is impossible, impractical, or less desirable than non-organic. Here are the few occasions where we are non-organic. Otherwise, you can assume items are organic (certified) or grown to organic principles (not certified).
Organic ingredients are frequently more than double the price. Sometimes they are even more than that, to the extent that we just can’t afford to use them without charging you a fortune for your meal.
• Nigella seeds (more than 3x more expensive)
ORGANIC NOT AVAILABLE
• Star anise
• Aleppo pepper flakes
• Sweet paprika
• Sugar and sweetener sachets (but we can supply you with organic sugar from the kitchen – just ask)
• Barista-standard coconut milk
• We are finding it very difficult to obtain organic gluten-free flour and filo pastry
• Pastries (we’d rather leave their production to the experts but have not yet found any decent organic ones)
• Some smoothies (as indicated on the list)
OUT OF STOCK
Sometimes the organic version is out of stock from our suppliers, or we have to dash out to local shops and organic isn’t always available.
SUPPORTING SMALL BRITISH SUPPLIERS
Sometimes organic supplies are only available from abroad when a non-organic product is available more locally with fewer food miles. We may use the local equivalent if we feel that on balance it is the most sustainable thing to do. We are fans of Hodmedod’s for promoting the use of British-grown products.
The web page was started with Mobirise templates